Blog
The last few months, I have shared many of my childhood memories on 6 x 6" and 4 x 12" canvas. People related to the small paintings of the little pond I learned to skate on - toboggan hill where I slid until my toes froze and snow packed trails thru our own winter wonderland. A simpler time that we had tucked away and a little painting stirred up hundreds of memories. As much as I enjoyed sharing them it now was time to move along with my painting.
I felt intimidated by the larger canvas sitting on the easel, naked just looking at me. Sunflowers would fill the canvas and although I had painted them several times these were looking tight. I didn't like what I was seeing. I stepped away and left it for a while. Walked back into the room, switched on the light and wham, saw it with totally new eyes. Picked up my knife and let it go...let it dance across the canvas as it is meant to do. The knife can work it's own magic.
Results: "They're Playing our Song"
I always like to have a new sunflower painting on hand. They are the symbol of happiness and longevity. Sunflowers should always be big and bold - remember they are the big boys of the garden. I struggled with this painting ..couldn't quite make it work. Left it for a while and then made up my mind, I was going to do this with aggression. Layers upon layers of orange and sienna topped of with golden yellow wispy petals - complimented by a deep blue sky and a variety of green grasses. Lastly I splashed bits of blue and magenta through out the painting...just because I wanted too.
As long as I live this art journey will continue. A never ending path.
I am an artist - what a gift!!
I believe that at one time or other we have all passed up a great painting - simply because at first glance the subject looked a little quiet....didn't really make your heart beat a little faster.
As an artist you can change the ordinary into the extraordinary!!
In this painting "Take me Home" I left the grey skies behind and slapped on lots of rich cerulean blues - filled the garden with the yellow and oranges of the mighty sunflower. For a little more interest I added my poppies and daisies, which gave it a more country look. Weathered the lovely white fence, just because I wanted too ....added a little sunshine and petals to the path and left the gate open inviting you in.
Look really close - God has given you the ability to see the beauty in everything and he wants you to share it.
I have not been painting for the last couple of months. Sometimes life makes it difficult to go to that special place one needs to go to create art.....finally I have completed this little painting. Once I was happy with it - I took my magic little knife(it is shaped like a little hand complete with fingers) and danced bits of color all over it. Results "The Big Boys" is bouncing with joy as only the sunflower can do.



