Blog
After viewing a post on face book featuring finger painting , I immediately wanted to try this as it is always exciting to try a new technique. You know pretty quickly rather this will work for you. Like knife painting this is not for the faint of heart. Working with so much paint can get a little messy. I knew the very second I sliced my knife into a glob of oil paint - the knife was the way I wanted to go. And laying on a glop (is that a word?) of oil paint to the tip of my fingers and dancing it across the canvas..... it just felt right for me. I am certain finger painting
will be a part of my art work. After painting "Taking a Chance" and two smaller finger paintings, I realized that I had to find my own way with this technique and I really do not like painting with gloves on....my fingers now look like I have been work in the coal mines. I will have to give it another try or load up on nail polish.
Any comments on this would be appreciated.
Bright red and soft white poppies against a smoky sky, doesn't sound like a difficult subject to paint. However working these cold and hot colors into an pleasant blend was not an easy task. At one point I was ready to give up on it. I walked away and left it for a while and returned to view it with new eyes. It took a lot of scrapping - re-doing - and re-thinking to finally find that middle ground that would make these colors come together. I knew I had a painting here and it felt good to see it finally materialize....a promise of summer that we on the east coast are longing for.
Added note - I delivered this painting on July 3rd......SOLD July 4th.
I considered this a finished painting - signed my name and set it aside to dry. I was ready to take it off to the gallery, looked a little more closely and was not too excited with what I was looking at. Now it is not an easy task to make changes to a very heavy textured knife painting. However, I was going to give it a try. Back to the drawing board. Placed it on the easel for a closer look. Decided to intensify the background with deeper blues...looking better. Added more grasses around the poppies...um better still but still not quite there. With nothing to lose, I laid out different colors on my palette - scooped up a gob of juicy paint on the tip of my knife and flicked colors all over the canvas. WOW I loved it -even re-named it. This procedure is not for the faint at heart. I had more paint on me than on the canvas. I kid you not, it was in my hair...all over my face ...my neck - soooo much fun. Can't wait to do another one.
I painted this floral and set it aside where it lay dormain for a while. It just wasn't grabbing me. Finally I decided to hang it at the top of my stairs - it did add the little color that I was looking for. Later, as I was walking up the stairs, the sun was hitting the painting and suddenly it did not just come to life; it literally sparkled. It was no longer the wallflower at the dance - it was the belle of the ball. The million of tiny flowers - little specks of yellows, blues,aqua and white daisies along with citrus green grasses played up the firey poppies against a soft blue sky. This is the stuff dreams are made of....and artist are always chasing a dream.
Chase your dream until you run out of breath...........then, keep running.
I love the size of this painting....12" x 48".
Imagine the places it could be hung. Perfect behind the sofa - as a headboard - over a group of paintings...the list is endless. I have painted hundreds of poppies and I have to say that this is one of my favorites. The cool blues of the sky is the perfect compliment for these scarlet ladies which are nestled among a multitude of tiny flowers. All this is done in a very heavy texture.
Unfortunately due to the dimensions of this painting it does not photo well, therefore the picture does not do it justice.
I would love to hear from you -
Monday morning I happily finished this painting. I did a lot of scrapping and repositioning on this one before my eyes were satisfied with what they saw. Monday evening "Jane and her daughter Sarah" dropped by to have a peek at my work. Jane wanted a new painting for her home. Although I had never met her, we talked like we had known each other forever . Jane decided on "Tomorrow...you dream". She got the painting she wanted and I had felt like I had made a new friend.
It was a great Monday. 2014 is looking good for me. However, I really have to get busy on my painting.
Have a great day!!!





